Tuesday, September 9, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MR. TOLSTOY

Tolstoy and His Grandchildren
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Today is the 186th birthday of the great Russian novelist, essayist, playwright, and philosopher, Leo Tolstoy.  It's fitting, therefore, that we remember a few samples of the wisdom he left for us.  Enjoy. 

If, then, I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to be the most useful to men of our century, I should simply say:  in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.  ~ Essays, Letters and Miscellanies

* * * * * 

A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor — such is my idea of happiness. ~ Family Happiness
* * * * * 

All the diversity, all the charm,  and all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow. ~ From Anna Karenina
* * * * * 


Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
* * * * * 


All great literature is one of two stories; a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town.
* * * * * 

What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.
* * * * *  

The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience.
* * * * * 

Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be. ~ Anna Karenina 
* * * * *  

He soon felt that the fulfillment of his desires gave him only one grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected.  This fulfillment showed him the eternal error men make in imagining that their happiness depends on the realization of their desires. ~ Anna Karenina
* * * * *

There is something in the human spirit that will survive and prevail, there is a tiny and  brilliant light burning in the heart of a man that will not go out no matter how dark the world becomes. 

Such great wisdom from Tolstoy.  As always, however, I prefer wisdom to be served with a side of humor.  Accordingly, I leave this parting quote for all those (like me) who have yet to completely read War and Peace:

I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes.  It involves Russia.
Woody Allen 
 

8 comments:

  1. I love all of these... and, yes, I have still to finish 'War and Peace'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robert — and the tragedy for me, of course, is that each time I have laid it aside, it remained laid aside for a very long period, so that subsequent attempts to return to the book required that I start at the beginning. At this point, I think I have surrendered. Perhaps my attention span is too limited, or maybe it's that I'm always excited about the next thing to read. I think you probably know what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  2. I didn't make it through, either, but maybe Woody has the right idea ... I'm thinking Cliff Notes ... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in good company, Teresa. The Woody Allen line cracked me up because it humorously captured a truth, i.e., that many of us feel the need to read W&P completely through, but few can find the time and attention for it.

      Delete
  3. I would like most of these writ large and pinned on my wall where I could see them every day. Where would I be without the peace and beauty of the countryside for a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. Glad these Tolstoy observations resonated with you — and, of course, I agree with you about the countryside quote.

      Delete
  4. I got half way. But I have to say, I was amazed at how beautifully Tolstoy wrote. I really do want to finish it.

    All the quotes are good. The ones that stand out today for me are the first one, and the one about what you do with incompatibility. When I get absorbed in passionate work, it's easy to ignore how beautifully the sun calls out. This happened on Sunday, and when I looked out, the sun was showering the zinnias with sunlight. I went out. And after 36 years of marriage, Don and I are still learning how to deal with incompatibility. But we're making progress!

    Isn't the photo wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruth, I agree about the beauty in Tolstoy's writing. I've finished a few of his smaller books, but never got through W&P. Happy you liked the chosen quotes, and I, too, thought the one about dealing with incompatibility was especially enlightening.

      Delete